Skip to main content

Smart Things - Motion Sensors, Battery drains way to fast

I have two of these ST motion sensors that I installed in early January as part of my first smart home device controls.

One turns on the lights in the entry way upon opening any of the doors and entering. It is great if you have your hands full and is controlled to only operate between 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise in the "stock" smart things light automation tasks and stays illuminated for 1 minute after motion stops.

The second controls the hue bloom under our bed that illuminates the edges, no more stubbed toes or struggling to find your way around and operates on the same schedule as above. It is a great addition and is by far my favorite, Smart device pairing I have done. ( I know there are other options for this functionality that are cheaper and just as useful, search around amazon) It does other functions as well besides the lights, ( hence why I did not pursue the other options mentioned above) It also starts a fan if myself or significant other wakes up early and it is too quiet, you can activate the light and start a fan if you want.

The only thing I do not like is that the batteries in both of them have now gone to 0% while around the same time I bought some Xiaomi Motion sensors and they are both still around 92% battery life left and have way smaller batteries. The Xiaomi are not as conducive to mounting as the smart things motion senors but I will write up something on getting the Xiaomi senors working it is a slight hassle but in the right situation the price makes them a good option, if you are willing to tinker in the Smart things IDE.


Happy Automating!





Comments