Skip to main content

Addressable LEDs with particle photon and BLYNK

Ever since seeing a few addressable LED and PHOTON videos on youtube, I have always wanted to make a fun project for these devices. I was having such a good time I made a maple box to house it and then found the blynk app that allowed me to make it even better.

For all of this to work you need to have a general understanding of how to connect your Photon Particle to your account,actually connect to the web through USB or the app, general soldering and particle IDE knowledge. If you would like a more step by step for the initial connection and setup that cannot be found through the links below or online through the learning tools on teh particle website let me know in the comments.

Particle Photon documentation
https://www.blynk.cc/

There may be other apps out in the app store but this one looked like and seemed like a great option. I did not test on IOS just android but would love to hear back if it is as awesome on IOS as it is on android. I could have gotten all the functionality I was looking for through the initial energy balance given to you through the app, but it was so nice I bought some extra to support the developer and added some more functionality and buttons then i really needed for testing this.

CODE on google drive for reference and use

The picture on the left is of the final settings page that is able to change all functions inside the particle device. The other two are just examples of the settings page in the app and how they are set to interact with the particle board. They will coincide with the code above for the connection between.

After getting it all setup and working I then added some serial outputs for testing that can bee seen through a serial connection I use the arduino desktop application for other stuff and that has one that works great build in. I did not stop there I then added a sequence for if does not connect to WIFI to then turn on the "listening" function so that it can more easily be added to a new WIFI connection through the particle app. If it is connected it cycles green lights across the LEDs if it does not connect they are red and then the listen mode starts.It also has a physical button and has some default settings if it does not connect to WIFI, the user can then operate the device without a phone. You can start and stop the lights with the handheld button.




Comments